Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Keeping Busy

 Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the crisp air, the changing leaves and the squalls of random rain, although combined with this region's propensity towards tropical storm force winds and dumping rain, at times it can be a bit depressing. Compounding the problem is the fact that this is our last season in Metz. We are now down to 12 weeks, or 2.5 months, or 1/7 of our time in Metz remaining and I am starting to freak out a bit. My brain is flipping between being sad to leave and happy to go home. I miss my family and friends in the US more than I dare to think about but at the same time, Metz is our home. We have friend, even "family" here; we have our favorite stores, our favorite picnic places and it is going to be terribly difficult to leave. My one consolation is that we are just a part of a mass Metz exodus. I feel badly for those we are leaving behind but roughly half of our friends are making their way back home (wherever that may be) within a few months of one another so although we will be scattered, we are all experiencing the same Metz inspired separation anxiety. I can only hope that my feelings on the subject will even out as things back home become more concrete with jobs, etc. As of right now all we have is a plane ticket (which we don't even physically have...stupid internet age) for the 18th of December to fly into Corning/Elmira Regional Airport. In either case, I (we) will survive and make the most of the transition, I know I will. But in the meantime we are making sure to make the most of the remaining time we have with visits from both friends and my parents (who come in one month!), with a possible trip to England, a mini trip to Saarbrüken, la Nuit Blanche, and food, lots and lots of food.


preparation for a back-home, farm house favorite

fried green tomatoes!

we made Manas something he had been desperately missing, paneer curry

poulet à la provençale ...this one's coming back with us!

150 crêpes made for a GTL game night; this one kept me busy

our lovely train station, snapped from the bus

the winds and the rains have descended which means that fall is upon us which translates into chili...yum! the recipe can be found at a my friend Lili's blog; it is by far the best vegetarian chili I've had.

I got bored of my mostly one length hair today and cut some heavy, side bangs. I'm becoming more and more French in my style and bangs only add to that, they're all the rage here. I'll be sure to take a better picture once I get Michael to trim up my ends.

3 comments:

  1. Love the bangs! And you're hair is getting so long! Very pretty. I have to say, I completely understand your mixed feelings about leaving Metz. I was only in Bath for four months, but you know that after almost three years, I still have intense longings to go back. Does it get better? Yes. Does it ever go away? Probably not. We can have "I miss Europe" parties as often as we need to when you're back. I'll appreciate the commiseration. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bangs lady! Metz will miss you too. But the good news is: you can eat the food you cooked for yourselves whilst abroad where ever you are (and you might even have a more accom. kitchen set up!) The saddest goodbye is one that's not sad. I'm just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input lovely sisters-in-law. You two would certainly know what we are going through at the moment. Laura, we will certainly have parties and Katie, the saying is lovely and true: the saddest goodbye is one that's not sad. Love and miss you both!

    ReplyDelete