But it's not cold and snowy at the moment, it's 90º and sunny. So here's my light (and vegetarian) summer version of their Birobidzhan Borscht.
yield: 6 bowls
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 T vegetable oil
4 c vegetable stock
2 c water
1 3/4 lb raw beets, peeled, halved, then sliced into thin half moons
1 garlic clove, mashed with a pinch of salt
2 T tomato paste
2 t apple cider vinegar
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium/low heat and add in the onions. Stir the onions occasionally until they have softened and are translucent (no browning).
- Add the stock, water, beets, garlic clove and tomato paste to the pot and stir to incorporate the garlic and tomato paste.
- Simmer the soup until the beets are tender* but not falling apart, 30-45 minutes.
- Add in the cider vinegar then taste and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Eat the soup warm or chilled overnight with a dollop of sour cream (or crème fraîche, if you happen to live in France), chopped chives and more fresh black pepper.
* If you would like this soup to be even more quick cooking, you could grate the beets.